A handy pocket guide to help mental health student nurses prepare for their practice placements.
Mental health nursing placements can be daunting – you’ll be working in a variety of settings and supporting individuals with a range of mental health problems. There are new colleagues to work with, and newly learned nursing theory to put into practice. This pocket guide is designed to make your placements much more enjoyable and less stressful.
From absence policy to personal safety, via least restrictive practice, it’s full of practical detail, hints and tips.
- Written by a team comprising an experienced mental health lecturer, a Practice Education Facilitator and two recently qualified mental health nurses – this guidance is really produced with you in mind.
- Pocket-sized format – carry it with you at all times.
- Space to make your own notes – be it uniform policy, new terminology, or just the names of your new colleagues!
Reduce your stress and make the most of your placements by having this book to hand from the start.
Pocket Guides is a series of handy, pocket-sized books designed to help students make the most of their practice learning experiences. Click here to see all available titles.
1. Preparing for placement
3. Absence policy
4. The NMC Code
5. Person-centred care
5.1 Least restrictive practice
6. Consent, confidentialityand safeguarding
7. Guidance on using social media
8. Induction and first day
9. Working with those supervising your practice
10. Common documentation
11. Communicating with colleagues
12. Communicating with patients
13. Personal safety
13.2 Hand hygiene
13.3 Infection control and sharps policy
13.4 Moving and handling
14. Fundamental skills
14.2 Drug administration
14.3 Drug calculations
14.5 Skin assessment
15. Basic Life Support
16. Common medical emergencies
16.1 Anaphylactic reaction
17. Common groups of medications
18. Pain assessment – pain tools
Moving on from there
19. Reflection and action planning
20. Common terminology
21. Quick references
22. Further reading
Small but Mighty...Super
‘What I love about this little bad boy is it contains all you need to know during placement and even after placement. Have done my first placement and going for second and I am punching myself why I did not buy it for my first. If you are in doubt, just go ahead and purchase it. It gives you that little reminder and if you don't know, it will teach you.
It comes with NEWS2 chart and Waterlow pressure chart..bargain!!’